Suji upma. Upma recipe with video and step by step photos. It is a traditional South Indian breakfast dish made from rava. A quick vegan breakfast dish, Rava is also called as suji in Hindi and cream of wheat in English.
Upma recipe – A basic South Indian breakfast recipe made with semolina, spices, herbs & veggies. Most Indian breakfast foods take a considerable amount of time – to plan, prepare and to cook. Whether you are a newbie, a student or a bachelor trying to cook for yourself with minimum effort then. You can have Suji upma using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Suji upma
- It’s 1 bowl of Suji.
- You need 1 of Chopped onion.
- It’s 2-3 of Chopped garlic a few cloves.
- You need 2 of Green chillies finely chopped.
- It’s 2 tablespoon of Oil.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Mustard seeds.
- Prepare 1 of Tomato big finely chopped.
- You need as needed of Groundnuts a few.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Ghee.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of Red Mirchi powder.
- Prepare 1 cup of Dhania leaves finely chopped as much you like.
- Prepare 2 bowls of Warm water.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Dal of Urad dal and chana dal.
Here, I have seen, people usually make it using Bombay rava or fine sooji that is also known as upma rava. In most of the South Indian restaurants, Uppittu aka Uppamavu is served along with kesari bath (sooji halwa south Indian style). It is known as chow chow bath. Rava Upma has always been a choice of breakfast or light meal for us.
Suji upma step by step
- Roast suji and keep aside.
- Add oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds and dals.
- Add onions. Add garlic green chillies and tomatoes.
- Add groundnuts.
- Add water. Bring to boil. Add salt and chilli powder..
- Add the suji and cook till water evaporates..
- Add ghee and Dhania Patti..
Upma is a traditional Indian breakfast made with sooji (also called rava in south). It's more common in South India but now I see it just as much everywhere in India. My mom always said, upma is the savory version of sooji halwa, whhich is true in a way. Rava Upma (Suji Upma) is a popular breakfast dish in India. It is nutritious, tasty and very easy to make at home by mixing and cooking roasted rava (suji, semolina) and sautéed vegetables in water.