Kanchipuram idly/Kovil idly. kanchipuram idli recipe with step by step photos. kanchipuram idlis are a well known variety of idlis. these are idlis spiced with cumin, pepper and ginger powder. Traditonally kancheepuram idlis are steamed in a bamboo basket which is lined with the leaves of the bauhinia plant. The idlis are cooked in bamboo casings lined with dried "mandharai" leaves.
It is also called as Kovil Idly, given as Prasadam in Varadaraja Perumal Temple in Kanchipuram. Kanchipuram Idli is one of the most popular South Indian Idli recipe that is originated from Tamilnadu – Kanchipuram Varadaraja Perumal temple's madapalli. This idli is served as temple prasadam. You can have Kanchipuram idly/Kovil idly using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Kanchipuram idly/Kovil idly
- Prepare 1 kg of idly batter ready made.
- You need of For the seasoning.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of Oil –.
- You need 1 spoon of Mustard seed.
- You need 2 spoon of jeera.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of Urad dal –.
- You need 1 tsp of Bengal gram/ chana dal -.
- You need 1 spoon of Ginger chilli paste.
- You need 10 of cashew nuts.
- You need 10 of tender curry leaves.
- You need of Coriander leave chopped.
- Prepare of Salt as per taste.
Recently I tried this recipe from " The Hindu" food safari section. Kanchipuram Idli is a traditional South Indian Idli. This Idli is an flavourful, aromatic idli, spiced with cumin seeds,pepper seeds & Ginger from the town of Kanchipuram. This idli's are Normally Served as a Breakfast Recipe.
Kanchipuram idly/Kovil idly step by step
- In idly batter mix Coriander Leaves Then heat oil + ghee, add mustard and jeera..
- When it splutters, add all the ingredients (mentioned under seasoning) one after the other. When dal turns golden brown, add the seasoning to the batter and mix well.steam atlest 15 min.
- You can steam the idlis in steel cups or tumblers. I cooked in steel cups(vatki)..
- Idly serve with coconut chutney or sambar.
Now the kanchipuram idly batter is ready. Grease the idli plates with oil. Place roasted cahsews in each mould. Next day, you can see the batter has nicely fermented and would have become fluffy. Kanchipuram idli recipe, a tasty kovil idli where idli batter is flavored with peppercorns, dry ginger & steamed.