RAW BANANA CURRY (Vazhakai curry). Raw banana curry, south Indian style vazhakkai dry curry with freshly ground special masala – its really spicy and flavorful! Most of the time I buy raw banana/ vazhakkai, I make this raw banana dry curry, other than the simple vazhakkai poriyal. Great recipe for RAW BANANA CURRY (Vazhakai curry).
For this recipe you need a raw banana. If it is a riped one then donot use it. Vazhakkai Poriyal-Raw Banana Curry with coconut. You can cook RAW BANANA CURRY (Vazhakai curry) using 16 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of RAW BANANA CURRY (Vazhakai curry)
- It’s 2 nos of banana Raw / Vazhakkai – ( small).
- You need 1/4 tsp of Turmeric powder -.
- It’s of Salt water & – as needed.
- Prepare of To grind.
- You need 3 tbsps of coconut Grated -.
- It’s 1.5 tbsps of Dhania Coriander seeds / -.
- You need 1 tsp of Jeera -.
- You need 3 nos of chillies Red -.
- Prepare 1 no of onion Big -.
- You need 2 nos of Garlic cloves – (optional).
- Prepare of Tamarind – a small piece (1 seed).
- You need of To temper.
- Prepare 1.5 tbsps of Coconut oil -.
- It’s 1 tsp of Mustard seeds -.
- It’s 1 tsp of Urad dal -.
- You need of Curry leaves – few.
Vazhakkai curry recipe, made with raw banana cooked in a coconut based masala, a quick and easy to prepare recipe but turns out delicious and flavourful. MIL makes vazhakkai curry this way. But this is a simpler one and equally flavourful one. The jeera, coconut and shallots give a great flavour!
RAW BANANA CURRY (Vazhakai curry) instructions
- Wash and peel the skin of raw banana.Chop into thin rounds and immerse in water till use..
- Grind all the ingredients given under “to grind” except onion,jeera and garlic coarsely adding little water.Lastly add chopped onion,jeera and garlic and grind it to a paste..
- In a bowl,take the raw banana pieces,turmeric powder,ground paste and salt.Mix well..
- Heat oil in a kadai and temper all the ingredients given above.Put the masala coated raw banana pieces and saute in low flame for few minutes.Add little water (say 1/2 cup) and cover cook till banana pieces are done.Do not over cook the pieces.After it is cooked well,remove the lid and saute the mixture in high flame for few minutes till the mixture becomes dry and turns golden brown..
I reduced little pepper from the orginal quantity as I felt the curry a bit spicy for us. WITH FRESHLY GROUND SPICES Vazhakkai curry we generally make by adding sambar powder, but this version of raw banana curry I have already blogged about the Pooshanikai Kalyana kootu HERE. Though kids at home prefer the Vazhakkai chips or.. Usually we make vazhakkai poriyal for keerai sambar using this way. But recently my MIL made vazhakkai curry aka poriyal using freshly ground spices.