Sheila's Spicy Bean Burgers.
You can cook Sheila's Spicy Bean Burgers using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sheila's Spicy Bean Burgers
- It’s 1 of red onion, finely diced.
- You need 1/4 cup of carrot, finely grated.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- You need 1/2 tsp of mild chilli powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground cumin.
- You need 1/2 tsp of vegetable bouillon powder.
- Prepare 1 can of organic red kidney beans in water, drained and rinsed.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of English mustard powder.
- Prepare 2 tsp of gluten-free tamari sauce.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato puree.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of oats, quinoa or buckwheat flakes.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of coconut oil for frying.
Sheila's Spicy Bean Burgers instructions
- Gently fry the onion until it sweats (about five minutes) – in one tablespoon of the coconut oil.
- Add the grated carrot, garlic, chilli powder, smoked paprika, cumin and vegetable bouillon powder and cook over a low heat for a further 5 minutes, and then put the mixture to one side.
- Place the beans in a large flat-bottomed bowl or saucepan and roughly mash them with a potato masher.
- Add the mustard, tamari sauce and tomato puree, and mix well.
- Next, stir the sauteed vegetable and spice mix into the mashed beans and incorporate the quinoa, oats or buckwheat flakes.
- Moisten your hands and form the mixture into 4 burgers, about 8cm across.
- Warm 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a non-stick pan, over a medium to low heat. Fry the burgers, cooking for 5 to 8 minutes on each side.
- Serve straight away with a large salad. I also suggest frying and caramelising a few extra pieces of red onion and adding some white bufala cheese to sprinkle over the burgers when they are served.